How to Repair Windows Live Mail?
Windows Live Mail is an email application offered by Microsoft with Windows 7 and Vista operating systems. While it has been a reliable email program with a user-friendly interface and excellent features, however, it is not being supported by Microsoft anymore and no updates/upgrades are being provided for it since the introduction of Windows 8 and Windows 10. With these new operating systems, the company is offering an upgraded email program (Outlook) with its new suit Office 365. Well, if you are still using the Windows Live Mail program but experiencing issues with it, you can repair Windows Live Mail by following the below-mentioned information.
Guide to Repair Windows Live Mail
To repair Windows Live Mail, all you need to do is to locate your email program in the list of programs installed on your device and choosing the repair option. Here are the steps that you will need to follow.
- On your Windows computer, click on the Start menu button located on the lower-left corner of the screen.
- From the expanded menu, you will need to select the Control Panel option. If you don’t see it on the menu, you will need to search for it manually.
- Once you are in the Control Panel section of your computer, you will need to go click on the Programs and Features A new window will appear on your screen where you will see the list of programs
- From the list, you will need to select the Windows Live Essentials program and then click on the Uninstall/Change This will open a window on your screen.
- From the window that appears on your screen, you will need to select Repair all Windows Live programs.
- Once the repair process gets completed, you will need to restart your computer. You can then check if the Windows Live Mail is now functioning properly or not.
Alternatively, you can follow the instructions provided below:
- Go to the folder pane and locate C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Live\Installer to get to the repair utility.
- Next, you will need to run a exe file and click on the Repair all Windows Live Program option.
- After that, simply follow the on-screen instructions to repair your Windows Live Mail program
So, now as you know the repairing process for your Windows Live Mail program, you can easily fix issues with your email program. However, if you are trying to make your Windows Live Mail work on Windows 10, you may want to consider following workarounds.
Run the Windows Live Mail as Admin and in a Compatibility Mode
- Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Live Mail or C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows LiveMail.
- Next, you will need to right-click on the wlmail.exe file and open Properties option.
- Then, you will need to select the Compatibility tab and select the checkbox next to Run this program in compatibility mode. From the drop-down menu, select the Windows 7 option.
- After that, select the checkbox next to Run this program as an administrator box.
- Then, you will confirm the changes and restart the Windows Live Mail client.
Reconfigure Windows Live Mail Account
Reconfiguration of your Windows Live Mail account is another ideal way to fix issues on Windows 10. If you configured your Windows Live Mail account again, it may help fix the issue by fixing the possible causes that might be responsible for the issue. However, make sure to take a backup of your Windows Live Mail account as a precaution before you reconfigure your Windows Live Mail account.
Check Windows Firewall and Third-Party Firewalls
- On your computer, go to the Windows Search bar and enter Firewallin the provided field. Then, open Windows Firewall.
- Next, you will need to click on the Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall link and select the Change settings
NOTE: Make sure to have administrative permission as it will be necessary to be able to change Firewall settings.
- Then, you will need to scroll down and enable the following protocols for both Private and Public network:
- Windows Live Communications Platform
- Windows Live Communications Platform (SSDP)
- Windows Live Communications Platform (UPnP)
- Once you are done, confirm the changes and restart your system.
Remove and Create a New Windows Live Mail Account
Sometimes, the problem could be arising with your Windows Live Mail on Windows 10 due to issues with the account. In such a case, you can consider using an alternative Windows Live Mail account by following these steps:
- Open Windows Live Mail and click on the Account icon and select Sign out of Windows Live Mailoption from the drop-down menu.
- Next, you will need to sign in using an alternative email account and look for changes.
Reinstall Windows Essentials 2012
In case you are unable to overcome the issues using the repairing process, you would want to consider reinstallation of your Windows Live Mail program. Generally, the main cause for the majority of issues is the Windows Update as it affects the functionality of Windows Live Mail application in Windows 10. And, as Windows Essential programs are frequently affected by other similar applications, you may experience issues with your Windows Live Mail program more than often. In such a case, it is suggested to uninstall Outlook and only use Windows Live Mail. To do so with Windows Essentials 2012, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Windows Search bar and type Control Panel in the provided field.
- Once you are in the Control Panel window, go to the Category view and select Uninstall a program option.
- Next, you will need to double-click on the Windows Essentials 2012 program and select Remove one or more Windows Essentials programs option.
- Then, select the checkbox next to the Windows Live Mail and press the Uninstall option.
- Once the uninstallation process gets completed, restart your PC.
- Now, you will need to download Windows Essentials 2012 from a trusted source.
- Once you download the setup, right-click on it and open it as admin.
- Then, you can either go for the installation of all Windows Essentials applications or just for Windows Live Mail.
Use Third-Party Alternatives
In case none of the above-mentioned solutions help you overcome the issues with Windows Live Mail, you can consider using other available options. There are numerous email clients available online that are compatible with Windows 10 and are reliable enough to maintain the ease and security of your account. Depending on your requirements, you can select one of the email clients online.
Disable your Antivirus
Another most common cause for the issues with Windows Live Mail on Windows 10 can be the Antivirus software installed on your system. It has been reported by many users that an antivirus program can also block certain applications from running properly. Therefore, make sure that Windows Live Mail is added to the list of exceptions in your antivirus software.
In case Windows Live Mail is not being blocked by your Antivirus program, you may still want to consider disabling or removing your antivirus program. This is suggested because certain antivirus tools might not be compatible with older software. If you are facing issues running or accessing Windows Live Mail on your Windows 10 computer, consider removing or disabling your antivirus.
If removing the antivirus program helps you overcome the, you may want to switch to different antivirus software. There are numerous antivirus tools available online that you can choose from. However, if you’re looking for a reliable antivirus that won’t interfere with applications such as Windows Live Mail, you may want to contact the customer support or manufacturer of the particular antivirus software.
So, now as you have ample information on how to repair Windows Live Mail and ways to fix the email program on Windows 10, you can easily use them whenever you face trouble with your email program.